Through demographic studies and population analysis, the Owners of this school concluded that a three-classroom addition would be required to meet future student loads. The original 'L' shaped building designed by Perkins and Will, occupies the north and the west sides of the lot. The district administration building, an historic schoolhouse from 1837, shares the property and is positioned on the south, fronting the major street, while the school acts as the contextual backdrop. The addition protrudes into the open quarter of the site. Designed to compliment the existing structures, the addition not only re-establishes the prominence of the existing schoolhouse, it also preserves the view of the 'wing roofed' commons area while creating an exterior courtyard between the new and old structures.
River Forest, IL
elementary school classroom addition